Books I Am Currently Reading

  • Moon Over Manifest
  • Shadow Flame

Books I have recently read

  • A Discovery of Witches
  • Henry's Demons
  • Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
  • Queen of Shadows
  • The Art of Racing in the Rain
  • The Orchard
  • The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane
  • Widow of the South
  • Winter Garden

Summer

Summer
Click on picture for link to one of my favorite bookstores.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Orchard

It didn't take me long to pick the book I want to get me back into blogging. The Orchard, a memoir by Theresa Weir (aka Anne Frasier) is that - Theresa Weir's memoir. I have read a number of her books written under Anne Frasier and love them. They are mysteries, which I don't typically read, but are unlike any others out there. I usually can figure out who did it by the third chapter. I can not do that with Theresa's books. Sadly, many of here books are out of print but she is bringing some back as eBooks.

Anyway....onto The Orchard. I was lucky to get an advanced readers copy of it through Brenda Novak's auction for diabetes. I was thrilled when my autographed copy came in the mail. So thrilled that I read it in one day. When she was 21, Theresa fell in love with the man who would become her husband. They married after only 3 months of knowing each other. She moved onto her husband's family orchard and soon found out that she wasn't going to be welcomed with open arms. As she struggles to make a life with her husband and live with the isolation associated with farming, she learns about the dangerous chemicals used on the farm. Over time, these chemicals take their toll on those she loves.

I do not want to spoil this story for anyone especially since the book does not come out until September 2011. It is a beautifully written book that will make you laugh and cry. I have met Theresa, so when I found out she was writing her memoir I couldn't wait to read it. Knowing her only as a "Best Selling Author", I had no idea what to expect. Picturing her as a 21 year old was fun especially since she was somewhat of a free bird. I respected her as she grew into a wife and mother and as the orchard almost becomes her enemy. I grew frustrated as she tried to protect her family, knowing the situation she was in was not going to be easily changed.

I have The Orchard in my "read again when you are ready" book pile. I have pre-ordered copies for my sisters and friends and cannot wait to have a transcontinental book club over it.

I highly recommend this book. I loved it!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment